A partner visa is for the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. This visa can be applied for whilst the applicant is either in Australia or offshore by providing evidence of a de facto or married relationship.

Married Vs De-facto

Applicant needs to meet the criteria for a partner visa by providing evidence that you are either in a ‘de facto’ relationship or are married. In general, you must be at least 18 years or older when you apply.

A de facto relationship can be proved by showing that you have lived together for 12 months, however this is not always necessary. For instance, if your relationship has been registered with an appropriate state or territory body you are exempt. Check with us today to know if your relationship already meets the criteria!

If you apply on the basis of being in a married relationship you must be able to demonstrate that you are married to each other under a marriage that is valid for the purposes of the Migration Act.

For either relationship, the following elements must also exist:

    1. you are both committed to a shared life excluding all others
    2. your relationship is genuine and continuing
    3. you live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis
    4. you are not related by family.

Relationship Evidence

There are four aspects of the relationship that the Department will consider as below:

    1. The financial aspects of your relationship – i.e. how you and your partner manage and share your finances
    2. The nature of your household – i.e. your living situation and details about your domestic arrangements
    3. The social aspects of your relationship – i.e. evidence that others know about the relationship
    4. The nature of your commitment to one another – i.e. evidence of how you are committed to a long-term relationship.

Every relationship is unique and it is likely that your relationship will have certain elements or aspects to it that are stronger than others. If you decide to engage our services, we will provide you with checklists and guidelines which list clear examples of the specific types of evidence you can rely on to evidence your relationship.

Another important aspect to each application is providing a detailed ‘relationship statement’ which is your opportunity to explain in your own words how the relationship started, how it developed and details about how it currently operates.

Onshore Partner – SC820/801 Visa

This is for applicants who are in Australia and on a visa which does not prevent them from lodging a further visa application.

The processing time is longer than the offshore application, but as soon as the application is submitted the applicant will usually be granted a bridging visa which will allow them to remain in Australia until a decision is made.

This is a two-part application. First, the Subclass 820 will be granted. Then, 2 years from the date that the initial application was submitted, you can apply for the permanent visa (Subclass 801) by showing up to date relationship evidence. No additional application fee is payable for the second stage.

Offshore Partner – SC309/100 Visa

This is for applicants who are wishing to apply from outside of Australia.

The processing time is often faster than an onshore partner visa application. If you wish to visit your partner in Australia whilst the application is pending, you can apply for a visitor visa which the Department will give special consideration to.

This is a two-part application. First, the Subclass 309 will be granted. Then, 2 years from the date that the initial application was submitted, you can apply for the permanent visa (Subclass 100) by showing up to date relationship evidence.

Prospective Marriage – SC300 Visa

This visa is suitable for applicants who are currently offshore and wish to travel to Australia to marry their prospective spouse who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Once the visa is granted, you must arrive in Australia and be married within 9 months of the visa grant. Once you are married you are eligible to apply for an Onshore Partner Visa (Subclass 820/801).

We can help with each step of the partner visa process. So, speak to our registered migration agent to check your eligibility to apply for Partner Visas

Have Questions? Get in Touch


    Australian Visas Categories: